Nothing absorbs our stresses more than the bathroom. But when the restroom is not clean and shiny, it does not work as stress absorbent.
There are many things for which our bathrooms do not shine like new and we have a lot of options to regain that shine we used to see in a new bathroom.
In this article, we will show you how to clean bathroom tiles by following some simple steps.
We also feel the urge to have a bathroom that needs less cleaning effort over the time – to avail this, we have found out some easy but effective tips. Following those will allow your bathroom tiles to shine more.
If you are looking for a visual guide, we have attached a video at the end of this article. Click here to watch it now.
Why Bathroom Tiles are Dirty
3 Things that are mainly causing a dirty tile in your shower.
- The continuous flow of water
- Chemical reaction between hard water and soap scum
- Dirt we leave when getting shower
The continuous flow of water keeps the shower tile wet for a long time. And a lengthy wet period allows the molds to grow faster.
If your tap water is hard and you are using a soap bar, then it can be the main cause behind the dirty tile. Remains of the soap bar and hard water reacts chemically and sticks to the surface leaving a hard-to-remove stain.
And the third point is our body dirt. When you wash the body in the bathroom, the dirt goes to the sink with the shower water.
Specks of dust stuck in the abrasive corners and grout gaps of the tile.
Method 1: Vinegar and Lemon to Clean Tile Floor in Bathroom
This method is our most favorite for its easiness. It demands less work than the other methods of tile cleaning. Things you need for this method are also available in households-
- A bottle of vinegar
- Abrasive cleaning tool
First, you need to mix the vinegar with an equal amount of water. If stains are too deep, then we recommend using raw vinegar.
Spray the vinegar on the stained tiles and let it soak.
In the meantime, press lemons in a bowl and pour it into a sprayer. Spray the lemon juice on the stains now.
Take a sponge, rub the surface thoroughly until you see the stains are gone. If you feel that the stains are too deep and are not getting out of the surface, you can use some more vinegar on the surface and let that sit for some time. And then, rub with the sponge.
Use a squeegee to remove the dirt layer from the tile and wipe the tiles with a towel.
You should now see a shiny shower tile that you were looking for!
Method 2: Clean Bathroom With Baking Soda and Vinegar
This is another effective and easy-to-do cleaning process. The process needs-
- Baking Soda
- Abrasive brush
The steps are quite similar to the last one we have written above. You need to mix baking soda with water and make a thick paste.
Rub the paste on the tile and stain. Let it sit for a few minutes.
Spray vinegar on the tile where you have already applied baking soda paste. Let the rubbed paste bubble for a few moments.
Rinse the tile with vinegar carefully. If your bathroom tiles have some mild yellowish stain, then you can mix vinegar with water equally. But deep stain removal needs the full power of vinegar. You can use an abrasive brush to eliminate hard-to-remove stains.
After that, you are ready to use a squeegee to remove all the remaining pastes and vinegar.
End the process by wiping the tile surface with a towel.
We have covered shower doors cleaning process in another article. If you are interested, you can see that also.
Method 3: Clean With Heavy Duty Tile Cleaners
If you are not comfortable with vinegar and baking soda type of staff, then you can go with this. You only need a store-bought heavy duty tile cleaner and a scrubbing brush.
Follow these simple steps-
- Wear protective hand gloves and a mask for safety. Since different manufacturers use different types of hard chemicals to make these cleaners, getting in touch with that or inhaling fume can harm your health.
- Dry out the tile surface for an effective cleaning process.
- Spray tile cleaner on the surface. For getting most out of the cleaner, you should spray more on deep stains and less on the mild stain.
- Let the cleaner sit for a few moments.
- Use a soft scrubbing brush to scrub out the stains and other dirty materials out of the bathroom tile floor.
- Wipe the surface with a cloth.
- After wiping out, pour a bucket of water on the tile so that no chemicals are left on the tile floor.
If you do not have tile cleaner but have any kind of cleaning solvents, you can use that as long as the product is not harmful to the tiles.
Method 4: Natural Way to Remove Stain From Bathroom Tile
Though the first two methods are all-natural, we are categorizing ‘cleaning with salt’ as our pick of the natural way to clean your bathroom tile.
This method needs-
Pour water on the floor you are going to clean.
Take a cup of salt and sprinkle with your fingertips on the tile floor. Then, use the scrubber to scrub out the stain and dirt.
Allow the salt a few minutes to chemically react with the dirt and remove them.
After that, use the squeegee to remove the salt from the surface and scrubber for scrubbing the tile with water.
Wipe the surface and you are done!
Method 5: Deep Cleaning Method For Shower Tiles
This method is not suitable for all types of bathroom tiles. You can only use this on the floor. The method needs-
- A Floor Wiping Mop
- Heavy-duty bathroom cleaner
- Wipe Towel
- A bucket
Steps to Follow
Use protective gear like gloves, masks, and eyeglasses.
Sprinkle a layer of salt on the floor.
Scrub the surface thoroughly with the scrubber.
Pour heavy duty bathroom cleaners in the bucket.
Soak the mop in the bucket and wipe the whole surface thoroughly with the mop.
Let the chemical and the salt do the cleaning work for you.
Wipe the surface with a towel after about an hour.
Pour a bucket of clean water so that no chemical substance remains on the floor.
Wipe again with a clean and soft wipe towel.
How to Keep Your Bathroom Tiles Clean
- Ensure a proper airflow in the bathroom so that molds do not grow faster.
- Avoid cheap body cleaners and go for the best quality.
- Always dry out the tile after you use the bathroom. The wet surface is the meeting place of different germs.
- Give your bathroom a minute every day. You can clean the tile with a wipe and a towel in one minute. This can save you from going through a day-long hectic bathroom cleaning process.
- Use mildew-resistant caulks and grouts for your bathroom. This is a must, in my opinion.
- Warm water is the enemy of the germs. You can pour a bucket of warm water every day in your shower floor and wipe that out for a mold and germ-free bathroom.
Visual Guide On Bathroom Cleaning
Shower is the place where you can’t resist you from going. You have to use it irrespective of any circumstance.
Statistics found that reasonable human lives almost 2 years in the bathroom in his life. Quite a significant amount of time, I should say!
For that reason, we have to keep that place healthy. The stress reliever will not act as a stress giver after following our simple but effective guide.
We wish you a happy bathroom life for you and your family. KIDDING!