Gutter is an overlooked place when it comes to cleaning. You will see people doing an all-out cleaning job but skipping the gutter.
For this reason, gutter becomes one of the dirty places where insects and bacteria grow.
In this article, you will learn how to clean gutters fast without using expensive tools. This piece is divided into two parts, i.e. a step by step guide to clean gutters and tips to do it fast and safely.
So, let’s do it!
We've included a video tutorial at the end of this article. Click here to start watching it now!
Things You Need
- Sturdy Boots with soft grip
- Eyeglass (optional)
- Straight or Extension Ladder
- A tarp
- A Long hose
Now, follow these easy steps to clean your gutter faster than ever.
1. Ensure Safety First
For your safety, wear sturdy boots that grip. Have your hands protected with gloves, eyes with safety goggles, and lungs with a mask.
Now, take a straight or extension ladder and tie it with your house or anything firmly attached to the ground. The ladder must be of a length that can exceed the height of the gutter by three feet. That extra three feet will help you to move from the ladder to the roof and vice versa.
You have to tie the ladder with the gutter spikes when you reach the top of the ladder. Tie the ladder firmly so that it does not move when you use it.
2. Lay the tarp on the Ground
Use a big tarp on the ground so that you do not need to carry a bin bag or bucket on the rooftop. Carrying the bin increases the risk of being unbalanced, so we recommend this tarp method. It is easy and safe!
Lay the tarp on the ground so that when you pour the debris from the roof, it falls on the tarp.
3. Start with Large Debris
Whenever you clean the gutter, start with large accumulated debris. Removing the large solidified dust will have your work 50 percent done.
Start the cleaning work from the surface where you tied the ladder. After you move from the ladder to the roof, concentrate on one side of the gutter at a time.
4. Wash the Gutter with Water Hose
Take a water hose that can be used on the whole surface of the gutter. For this, you need to take a measurement of your house and gutters surrounding it.
If you have a big house and have water outlets, you can take a short hose and utilize the water outlets. But for this, you will need a person who can move the pipe from one outlet to the other.
See our Take on Caulk Remover Reviews
5. Use Water Pressure to Clean Drain Line
If you are using a drain line to get rid of the rainwater from the gutter, the pipe is likely clogged with dust. You can use the pressure of water to remove any clog in the pipe.
If you have a pressure washer, use that to remove the clog. If you have not one, take a bucket and make it full of water. Then pour the full bucket at the entrance of the drain line. The force of water should remove the clog.
However, you need to remove a portion of the pipe when the line is going underground. Because you’ll not like having a clog in the pipes under the ground. Disconnecting the line before it gets into the ground will make your task easy to remove the clog and save the underground pipe from being jammed.
If you see any stain or stubborn dirt that is not removing by all these steps, you can use washing solvents to make things softer.
Tips to Clean Gutter Safely
- When cleaning the gutter with your hand, sit on your back foot and line the front foot towards the gutter. Following this will protect you from losing balance at the edge of the roof.
- When collecting dust from the gutter, do not risk yourself. Do not lean so much towards the gutter that you lose your balance.
- Water pressure removes any kind of dust from the surface. If you have a pressure washer, you can use it with limited and balanced pressure to clean the gutter fast. If you do not have one, simply use a hose to apply water pressure.
- Do the cleaning job in the morning or evening. Doing work at the roof with the shining sun can make you sick. So, pick a slot when the sun is not shining with all its power. The best time for doing such a job is early morning and before sunset.
Since gutter cleaning is a tiresome job, people often skip cleaning the gutter. But a clean gutter will give you a healthy home.
Dirty gutter is the habitat for different bacteria and mosquitos. In monsoon, clogged rainwater can damage the gutter as well. So, clean the gutter regularly following these easy to follow steps.