Cutting tiles is not as hard as you think! People see the professionals work on different types of cutting machines to cut the tile and assume that tile cutting is a hard task.
But I assure you that whenever it comes to cutting fewer tiles for home use, you don't need to bother about professional machines.
In this brief but extensive guide, I will show you how to cut tile with and without a saw.
[I've included two videos also for visual understanding about the concept]
How to Cut Tile With a Wet Saw?
For cutting tile with a wet saw, here are the mandatory things you need to take before getting started.
Follow these easy steps to get your work done.
1. Put the gloves in your hand and the protective goggles on the eyes. After all, Safety is the first thing we need to ensure.
2. If your saw has no automatic water nozzle functionality, you'll need to take a bucket of water to pour in the water reservoir of the saw.
3. Now, take all the tiles you want to cut and mark the cutting lines before you head to actual cutting work. You can use a tile marker or a crayon for doing this.
4. Place your tile on the sliding table part of the saw and align it with the saw blade matching with your previously made marks.
5. Start the saw, press the tile with both hands with the sliding table. You should press it towards the saw evenly with both hands to make an even and smooth cut.
The water of the saw bucket will protect the cut residues from mixing in the air by making the residues wet.
After you finish cutting a tile with the wet saw, make sure you hold the tile vertically making sure all the water is poured back to the saw bucket.
Related: Best Wood Shapers
How to Cut a Tile Without A Saw
If you're not a pro and you don't need to cut a large number of tiles, you shouldn't bother about buying an expensive tile saw. Rather you can go for the other proved methods of cutting tiles.
But if you're a homeowner, I would recommend buying a tile saw for convenient and safe cutting of tile.
I will describe two different methods of cutting a tile without a wet saw here.
Method 1: Using a Glass Cutter
Before proceeding with this method, these are the basic things you need to take.
Steps to Follow
1. Take the tile you want to cut and mark the cutting lines with a marker.
2. Place a straight scale on the tile and scratch the tile with the glass cutter. You should properly maintain the alignment with the line you've marked. Not doing so can end up breaking the tile.
3. Place the tile on the round shaped object and align the marked line with that. Place your hand on the tile and press it towards the floor. The tile should break at the straight line you've made with the cutter.
Read Also: Small Farm Wood Chipper Review
Method 2: Cutting Tile Using an Angle Grinder
This method is a bet for those who have bought the angle grinder previously. It is more convenient than the glass cutter and will need less effort than the previous method.
See the list and pick these things before you start cutting.
After you pick up these, follow these easy steps for getting your work done.
1. Take the tile you want to cut and tighten it to the table with a C-Clamp.
2. Mark the cutting lines with a crayon or marker.
3. Replace your grinder blade with a continuous rim blade.
4. Now, Cut through the tile guided by the marked line. You should be able to cut the tile quite easily.
Some Important Tips for Cutting Tile
1. Don't put excessive pressure on the tile when you cut them. Use even pressure to minimize risk of breaking the tile.
2. If you use a wet tile saw, make sure all of the wires of the electricity line is perfect without any leakage or break.
3. Don't use the blades which have teeth-like cuts on the edge of the blade. Use continuous rim blades instead.
4. Always use gloves and goggles before starting to work on tiles. The after cut particles can harm your body if not protected.
5. Always take extra precaution before any home improvement works. Whichever you don't understand, stop there and call a professional.
You may find our guide on the best 20 ton shop press useful. Plus, read the beginner knife grinders buying guide.
As you've ended up reading the whole article and probably you've watched the videos also, you should know a great deal of the process of tile cutting.
Take precautions and always read the manual of the machines you use for this type of work.
If you're not satisfied yet and want to know more about this topic, leave a comment below for me. I will be there for you to help.