A screwdriver can be handy for the households, and it becomes more effective when it is magnetized.
You can buy a magnetized screwdriver or can magnetize an existing one following this guide.
We'll show two different but easy ways of magnetizing the screwdriver at your home.
So, let’s turn the non-magnetic screwdriver to a magnetic one.
1. The Magnet Method
For applying this method, you'll need these common ingredients. Pick these things before you proceed to the next step.
Steps to Follow
1. At first, take the screwdriver and clean it with a dry cloth. When you clean it, make sure you don't scratch the outer layer of the iron rod with the cleaning object.
2. Place the rubber suction on the magnet. This step is important for keeping the integrity of the screwdriver's outer coating. If you proceed with the bare magnet, you may end up scratching the screwdriver badly.
3. Pick the screwdriver in one hand and the magnet in the other. Slide the screwdriver on the magnet from right to left. The screwdriver and the magnet should connect with each other wholly when you slide.
4. Repeat the process of ‘Step 3’ for 10-15 times in the same direction. When repeating the process, rotate the screwdriver a bit each time.
5. Check with some screws, if the driver is picking the screws up. In 99% cases, this 15 seconds process makes a screwdriver magnetic for a year.
If the screwdriver is not magnetized yet. Try to follow Step #3 for a minute more. You should see a positive result.
2. The Battery-Wire Method
If you don't have a powerful magnet in your storeroom but have a household battery, this method is for you!
Pick these items before we go into the next steps.
Got these things? Now, follow these easy steps.
Steps to Follow
1. Clean the screwdriver with a soft cloth.
2. Remove an inch of the insulation of the wire from both the separated wire.
3. Wrap the screwdriver for 12-15 times in a coil-shaped manner. The number can vary on the basis of the length of the iron rod of the screwdriver. Make sure it is fully coiled up with the wire.
4. Pick two sides of the wire in two hands and connect them with both of the connectors of the battery.
5. Disconnect the battery after 30 to 60 seconds. This method will heat the wire and the battery terminal. So, don't keep it connected for long.
After you finish up following these simple steps, you can check with some screws. You'll see that the screwdriver is now magnetized and picking up the screws.
If you don't see any positives after following the steps, consider buying a magnetized screwdriver for a permanent solution.
When a screwdriver is a must for all households, most of us ignore its quality when buying one. Next time you buy a screwdriver for your home, make sure it is magnetized and fulfills your requirements.
If you need any more assistance about the screwdriver, feel free to knock me in the comment box below.